Friday, June 5, 2009

THE ORDINARY EVERYDAY LIFE OF FAITH IN GOD


The greatest lessons of living the life of Christ in this journey that I am on, is found in my everyday , non eventful and sometimes boring life. Many come to the Faith in Yah'shua/Jesus with the notion that we must always have great works to do for Him, that we must always feel His presence in our life.That we are to have busy and profound experience in God all the time, that somehow we must live on the mountain tops all the time. But I have found that the greatest work the Lord does in my life is when it would seem nothing is happening in my life. There seems to be no mountain top even in my view, nothing but endless valleys. The days seem to be the same, I do my household chores, I study the word, I pray, and I try to cope with life in Chronic Pain and disability. Day in and day out nothing seems to be changing, in fact it seems everything is getting worse in my life, more pain, more disability, more trials, more lack it would seem. I don't seem to be making any progress instead more things seem to be piling up on me. I don't feel the presence of God's Holy Spirit in my life, and my every day struggles and problems seem to keep coming at me with full force. Sometimes it would seem that it is never ending. All the while I continue crying out to God "where are you in all of this?"
We have this idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing in our life, that surely He is preparing me and equipping me for some great and extraordinary work sometime in the future. But I have found, by reading biographies of people who seem to be living that extraordinary life and by reading about the men and women God worked in , within the pages of the Bible, that there were many years of learning in the mundane ordinary day in and day out struggles that truly prepared them for what they were doing now, and for the great things we have read about. We only see the now in their lives, but we were no where around while they were undergoing the training of God in their ordinary and many times boring lives.
But as I live and grow in the Lord I am finding that God is truly doing a work in me right now in this mundane and ordinary and sometimes boring life this very moment and in every moment of my ordinary day.
I am being taught that God is doing and performing His Work , His way in me, He is pruning and tending the garden of my soul , pulling out weeds and watering and feeding me what I need now in this moment. This time is not being wasted when I ,no matter what the circumstances keep my mind and my heart in Him. It is in the ordinary life that He does His best work, it is the training ground that I need ,to be what He wants me to be, for what ever purpose that He has for me . He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Heb.13:5, Not for any reason , not because of my sin, or waywardness, or sometimes fears and doubts that I may have. He never leaves me even when I do not see Him at work in my life. This wilderness time we all go through is the training ground so that we personally will know and believe that God is true to His word every time, and it is during these ordinary , day in and day out , ups and downs that we personally gain the assurance that no matter what ,God is truly there. God is in me doing His workmanship in me, even when I am unaware of it. This is what we need to get a hold on, this is the time our faith is truly tested, and this is the time we will begin to truly know what and who we believe in. Yes ,God does great things it would seem in other peoples lives, but we must believe that He is doing great things in our lives now , and in many peoples lives, the truly big and wonderful workings of God will be found in the ordinary life that we live in.
If we continue to rely on God's assurance and His word that He has never left us, we will find that we will have His Strength to aid us in keeping on keeping on. The word says that "the secret of the Lord is with those who reverently fear and honor Him"Psalms 25:14
We must endeavor to uncover the 'secret of the Lord' daily in our lives , if we seek Him and His righteousness, we must believe that what ever we 'need' in our lives will be given. The secret here is knowing the difference between need and wants.
Those of us who live very ordinary lives must realize that there really is no 'work' that we have to do for the Lord, His only requirement from us is to Believe in Him and have Faith in Him. It is so much easier for us to do something for the Lord than to merely Trust in Him, we think surely we must be doing more FOR the Lord, we say to ourselves.God wants us to walk 'with' Him not 'work' for Him, He is the one doing the Work, we are called to allow His work to be done in and through us. We must be as Christ was in the world , He said "behold I have come to do Your will O God." Heb.10:9 Jesus' obedience was to the Will of Abba, and this is what we are to do as well. The whole purpose of our training in the ordinary things of life is to get us into 'Right relationship' to the needs of God and His Will. Once God's needs are met in us , He will open the way for us to accomplish His will in meeting the needs of those around us.
Until we come to the point of total reliance on the Resurrection life of Jesus which is what brings us into complete Oneness with the purposes of God we will never be called to do anything else. And that total reliance of his Resurrection life and power is learned in the daily trusting and abiding in Him in the ordinary, commonness of the lives we live.

Lord help me to be aware of you in my ordinary life, help me to rely on your resurrection life and power, help me to see you in all things that happen in my life, help me to come to the point of truly seeking your Will and Kingdom in me. Lord as I live daily in this world, I will trust in you , I will believe in you, and I will abide in you, as your Spirit empowers me to do so.Lord I may not understand what may be going on in my life right now, but according to your word, I will not lean on my own understanding but in all my ways I will acknowledge that you are in control, and in doing so will trust that you will direct my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment